5 Best Cordless Miter Saws (Tested & Reviewed in 2023)
Miter saws are some of the most versatile saws you can own, and they’re an essential for any woodworker or DIY fanatic to complete projects.
Cordless miter saws in particular have become quite popular thanks to their portability, versatility, and efficiency.
That’s why I put together this list of the best cordless miter saws you can buy!
In a hurry? The Makita 18V x2 LXT Cordless 10″ Miter Saw is the best cordless miter saw because it’s powerful, precise, durable, versatile, and portable. Moreover, it’s cheaper when compared to other top cordless miter saws.
Quick Answer: Here are My Favorite Cordless Miter Saws! 👇
In This Article:
Best Cordless Miter Saws
- Makita 18V Cordless 10″ Miter Saw – #1 Best Overall
- DeWalt FLEXVOLT 120V MAX* Miter Saw – Best 12″ Miter Saw
- Bosch 18V 7-1/4 In. Miter Saw – Best Value
- Craftsman 20V 7-1/4″ Cordless Miter Saw – Most Portable Miter Saw
- DEWALT 20V MAX* 7-1/4-Inch Miter Saw – Best Battery Life
1. Makita 18V x2 LXT Cordless 10″ Miter Saw – #1 Best Overall
- Powered by two LXT batteries; x2 LXT technology delivers more power, speed and run time without the hassles of a cord
- Makita built electronically controlled BL motor delivers 4, 400 RPM for faster and smoother cutting.
- The BL Brushless motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the BL motor to run cooler and more efficiently for longer life
The Makita 18V x2 LXT Cordless 10″ Miter Saw is a powerful, versatile, and efficient cordless sliding compound miter saw. And although its price may seem high at first glance, it’s actually more affordable—and more cost-effective—than cordless sliding compound miter saws of equal quality.
This portable saw runs on two powerful LXT batteries, and its brushless motor allows up to 4,400 rpm for smooth, fast cutting.
It can make up to 334 cuts per charge in 2×4 spruce, pine, and fir (SPR), and up to 192 cuts per charge in 2×12 SPR.
And since there are no carbon brushes employed, the motor isn’t as prone to overheating, so it can operate more efficiently and last longer.
On the versatility front, this dual-bevel sliding miter saw has a lot to offer, as it’s easy to adjust cutting speed, the cutting angle, and the position of the workpiece.
And since its arm can be extended, it can even make rip cuts in smaller workpieces. The dual-bevel feature, on the other hand, allows for both left and right tilting, so its bevel cutting capacity is superior.
It has a durable 40T micro-polished miter saw blade, so it can cut through a variety of materials quickly, easily, and accurately.
The adjustable fence is helpful, and this miter is capable of turning to the left and right.
It uses a laser-guidance system to ensure more accurate cuts, and this system doesn’t have its own power supply—unlike other models.
Lastly, despite being on the heavier side (71 lbs), this battery-powered Makita cordless miter saw still has decent portability. And since it’s compact, it’s easy to store.
What I Liked
- Two powerful batteries ensure more cuts in a single charge
- Brushless motor ensures fast, clean cuts in a range of materials
- Sliding arm allows for bigger cuts that other cordless miter saws can’t
- Dual-bevel design ensures easier bevel cuts.
- Sturdy base helps with ensuring accurate cuts.
What I Didn’t Like
- More expensive than other models
- Batteries must be purchased separately, adding to the cost
- The fence can get in the way, elongating and complicating some cuts
The Makita 18V Cordless 10″ Miter Saw knocks it out of the park on so many levels, and that’s why I’ve given it my top spot. It’s powerful, efficient, versatile, and easy to use, and since it runs on two lithium-ion batteries you can use it wherever you want. It’s up there in terms of price, yes, but its attractive qualities more than justify the price tag in my opinion. I just wish the batteries didn’t have to be purchased separately. Overall, this Makita cordless miter saw is an amazing saw that anyone will love.
2. DeWalt FLEXVOLT 120V MAX* Miter Saw – Best 12″ Cordless Miter Saw
- Flexible – power of corded. Freedom of cordless. The world’s first battery that automatically changes voltage when you change…
- Runtime; Up to 289 Cross Cuts in 3-1/4″ baseboard molding
- Powerful 120V Brushless motor provides longer runtime compared to Brushed motors
The DeWalt FLEXVOLT 120V MAX* Miter Saw stands out from other 12” sliding compound miter saws because it’s more versatile, safer, and more compact. However, this is the most expensive miter saw on this list, so it might not be perfect for those on a budget. If that’s you, I highly recommend checking out my list of the best budget miter saws!
As far as notable features go, this sliding compound miter saw has just about anything you could want including:
- A 120V brushless motor
- A 12”, 60-tooth high-speed steel blade
- An adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate
- An adjustment-free blade positioning system
- An easy-to-read bevel scale
- An easy-to-use swing arm
- A tall sliding fence
Despite its power and durability, this miter saw is incredibly compact so you can easily move it around when needed.
Moreover, it can be powered by batteries or a cord, and few miters of similar quality offer this level of versatility. (This is one of the things that makes it stand out and I really love.)
It can make nearly 300 cuts on a full battery charge, and its brushless motor allows the blade to reach 3,800 rpm.
As far as turning capacity goes, this compound miter saw can turn up to 60° to the left and up to 50° to the right; its detent plate has 11 positions, which is more than most miters.
When you purchase this saw, you get:
- Blade (1)
- Blade wrench (1)
- Dust bag (1)
- 120V FlexVolt battery (2)
- Dual-port charger (1)
- Corded power supply (1)
What I Liked:
- Two power systems so you can use the cord when the batteries are charging
- For a heavy-duty miter saw, it’s relatively lightweight, so transporting it is easier
- Faster and more accurate cutting thanks to unique blade-positioning system
- Two powerful batteries ensure longer run time, plus they’re included (with the charger).
- Tall sliding fence ensures a range of different cuts can be delivered
What I Didn’t Like:
- Much more expensive than other miter saws
- Lower blade rpm means less precise cuts
- Bells & whistles can make operation difficult for beginners
DeWalt tools have long been associated with power and durability, and the DeWalt FLEXVOLT 120V MAX* Miter Saw is no exception. This sliding compound miter saw is incredibly versatile too, so it can efficiently deliver several different cuts in a range of materials. Moreover, since it turns and tilts both ways, making miter and bevel cuts is not only faster but easier as well. But here’s the difference, with this miter saw, you can use either the batteries or corded power system. This means if you’re cutting denser hardwoods, you can plug in your saw for maximum power. If you’re on the go, you can use the batteries. I LOVE this feature. Its only downsides are its high price and its somewhat complicated design, but if you’re looking for a quality cordless miter saw, this one is a great choice.
3. Bosch 18V 7-1/4 In. Miter Saw – Best Value
- SURGEON PROFACTOR PERFORMANCE – a truly mobile jobsite solution, this saw provides light weight and pro capacity
- PRO CAPACITY – delivers 3-3/4 In. nested crown cutting, with 45° left against fence and 8-1/4 In. crosscuts
- CONVENIENT PORTABILITY – weighs only 26 Lbs. (tool only, not including battery) and features a carry handle
Along with being the best value pick on this list, the Bosch 18V 7-1/4 In. Miter Saw also packs a punch, even though it’s an extremely lightweight miter saw.
This miter saw is powered by a Core 18V ProFactor battery and a Biturbo brushless motor.
Its 7-1/4” high-speed steel blade can make up to 3-3/4” cuts in nested crown at 45° left of the fence, and it can make up to 8-1/4” crosscuts.
It has a sturdy detent and precisely centered sliding bars, so it can make a range of accurate miter cuts.
And thanks to a tall fence, it can make cuts in thicker materials.
Plus, it comes with a dust-extraction bag so minimal mess is made, and workpiece clamps for added stability.
When you purchase this saw, you get:
- 7-1/4” 24-tooth carbide-tipped miter saw blade (1)
- Blade wrench (1)
- Dust extraction bag (1)
- Workpiece clamps (1)
Unfortunately, the battery which powers this Bosch cordless miter saw, as well as its charger, are sold separately.
What I Liked:
- Extremely lightweight (26 lbs); great for contractors who have multiple worksites
- Highly efficient thanks to the blade, battery & motor
- Low price makes it great for hobbyists
- Simple design ensures smooth operation
What I Didn’t Like:
- Not the sturdiest miter saw, so making precise cuts is more challenging
- Best for smaller workpieces, as its cutting capacity is relatively limited
- Batteries sold separately
The Bosch 18V 7-1/4 In. Miter Saw is a steal when you consider its cost. Despite its relatively small size, it still produces considerable power, so it can make miter cuts, crosscuts, bevel cuts, and even limited rip cuts in a range of materials. No, this isn’t going to offer quite as much power as the DeWalt or Makita saws above, but if you don’t need it – this is a great saw to consider. And since it weighs just 26 lbs, it’s extremely portable and great for contractors who work at multiple job sites throughout the week. If it was made of sturdier materials, tilted both ways, and included the batteries it requires, this could be the best cordless miter saw overall. However, it’s hard to go wrong with this saw given the price.
4. Craftsman 20V 7-1/4″ Cordless Miter Saw – Best Portable Miter Saw
- Part of the V20 cordless system
- 7-1/4in. V20 20V max* miter saw has a powerful 3, 800 RPM motor for cutting 2x dimensional lumber, hardwoods, baseboard and trim with ease
- 20V max 4 Ah high capacity Lithium battery provides extreme runtime for heavy duty jobsite applications
When it comes to portability, the Craftsman 20V 7-1/4″ Cordless Miter Saw has all its competition beat.
Not only is it lightweight, it’s also distinctly compact, so it doesn’t take up much space. Plus, it has side handles to make transport easier and safer.
It’s powered by a Craftsman 20V Max 4 Ah high-capacity lithium-ion battery, and it utilizes a brushless motor. It can make nearly 600 cuts on a single charge.
The 7-1/4” high-speed steel blade this saw comes with can spin 3,800 times in a minute, and it can make 8” crosscuts at 90° and 5-1/2” crosscuts at 45°.
There are nine detent notches for common angles, and there’s also an LED line-guide system to help with making more precise cuts.
And because it’s a sliding miter saw, it can make 3-5/8” nested crown cuts, as well as 3-1/2” vertical cuts in baseboard.
What I Liked:
- It’s extremely battery efficient so you can make hundreds of cuts on one full battery charge
- Designed for frequent transport which makes it great for those using it on the go
- Durable parts ensure stability and more accurate cuts
- Smooth saw arm ensures speed & accuracy when cutting
What I Didn’t Like:
- Motor could be stronger
- Detent can get somewhat sticky after many uses
The Craftsman 20V 7-1/4″ Cordless Miter Saw is designed to be a highly portable sliding compound miter saw, and its portability doesn’t come at the expense of power. In fact, this is one of the more powerful cordless tools on this list, thanks to its battery power supply and brushless motor. So if you’re looking for all the features powerful corded miters boast in a compact cordless miter saw, look no further than this versatile product. Its only downsides are its somewhat limited cutting capacity and its sticky detent. Other than that, it’s a great saw worth considering.
5. DEWALT 20V MAX* 7-1/4-Inch Miter Saw – Best Battery Life
- Integrated cut line cross-cut positioning system provides adjustment-free cut line indication for better accuracy and visibility
- Capacity to cup 3 5/8 in. nested crown and 3 1/2 in. base vertically
- Adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate with 11 positive stops improves productivity and ensures cutting accuracy
Looking for a cordless miter saw with exceptional battery life? The DEWALT 20V MAX* 7-1/4-Inch Miter Saw has that and so much more.
Specifically, it’s more powerful, more accurate, more efficient, lighter, and more compact than competing portable miters.
It runs on a 20V Max DeWalt lithium-ion battery, and these are known for being both reliable and long-lasting.
Its brushless motor prevents overheating while ensuring smooth operation, and it allows the blade to spin 4,500 times in a minute.
The 7-1/4”, 80-tooth blade this cordless miter saw utilizes is made of stainless steel and carbide-tipped, and it can cut through a range of materials.
This sliding compound miter saw can make 8” crosscuts, 3-1/2” vertical cuts, and 3-5/8 nested crown cuts.
And thanks to its patented line-positioning system, you won’t spend as much time adjusting and positioning.
Plus, the detent has 11 notches and the miter gauge is easy to read, so achieving precision cuts isn’t just possible—it’s easy! This is also a perfect beginner miter saw that most people will love.
Finally, like many of the other miter saws on this list, this sliding miter is lightweight (~30 lbs) and compact, meaning it’s perfect for job sites.
What I Liked:
- Long battery life means you can get more done on one charge
- Very accurate; cuts are clean and quickly made
- Durable components ensure stability
- Miter gauge is easy to read which is important for precision cutting
What I Didn’t Like:
- Battery not included, so you’ll have to add that to the cost of this saw
- Complicated design can interfere with operation but once you get the hang of it, this saw is easy to operate
The DEWALT 20V MAX* 7-1/4-Inch Miter Saw offers superior battery life and top-notch efficiency, and it’s also lightweight, compact, and easy to transport. Plus, it’s built to last and powerful—like most DeWalt power tools—so it can make several cuts in materials thick and thin. Even precise cuts are easy to achieve thanks to it’s accurate miter gauge. In short, this is one of the best portable miter saws on the market right now, and if it had more cutting capacity it could be worthy of a better position on my list.
Considerations When Buying a Cordless Miter Saw
The best cordless miter saws have a brushless motor. This powers the blade, allowing it to spin thousands of times in a single minute.
The more power a miter saw has, the easier it’ll be to achieve smooth, accurate cuts quickly.
Precision and Accuracy
Precise miter saws have guidance systems and easy to read miter gauges. They also have accurate detents and ultra-sharp, carbide-tipped blades.
All these elements, along with a few others, make it possible for a miter saw to routinely deliver a range of different cuts accurately.
Another helpful feature for accuracy is a laser guide. This can make it easier to see exactly where you’re cutting.
Quality and Durability
The best cordless miter saws are durable too. With more durability comes more cutting capacity and more stability—two things you’ll need if you’re going to be cutting denser materials often.
For battery powered tools, battery life is essential. If a battery doesn’t hold a suitable charge, or it drains quickly, the tool it’s powering will deliver poor results.
Therefore, if the best cordless miter saw is what you’re after, look for something with an exceptionally powerful battery.
Note: Typically, tools that utilize high-end batteries utilize other high-end components too.
A cordless miter saw at the lower end of the price scale is going to cost $300-$400; a mid-tier system will run you $450-$550; and a top-tier cordless miter saw will cost $650-$900.
The best cordless miter saws come with a limited, multi-year warranty. Usually, the batteries these saws utilize are covered by different warranties.
An all-around high-quality cordless miter saw will have a range of safety features, like a blade guard, an electric brake, and a push-activated saw blade.
Are Cordless Miter Saws Worth it?
Cordless miter saws are ideal for contractors who travel from one job site to the next throughout the course of a week.
If you’re a hobbyist who makes miter cuts often in your home workshop, it makes more sense to get a corded miter saw.
Compact miter saws that run on state-of-the-art lithium batteries are ideal for those who need portability from their power tools.
But if the saw is going to stay in the same place for months and years, a corded power tool will be much more efficient.
Lastly, you may not even need a miter saw. These aren’t the only saws capable of making these cuts.
If you’re considering purchasing a miter saw, honestly gauge how often you make these cuts.
Don’t make these or bevel cuts often? Then a table saw will do just fine—you’ll save money and space too.
Tips for Using Cordless Miter Saws
Best on Sturdy, Flat Surfaces
If you need to achieve highly precise cuts with your cordless miter saw, it’s best to place it on a sturdy, flat surface before you start working. This way it’ll be stable when cutting.
Operating a cordless miter saw on an uneven and unsecured surface is not only going to result in imprecise cuts—it’s also quite dangerous.
Place the saw on a sturdy table or workbench, or buy a collapsible stand that’s designed to hold battery-powered miter saws.
Looking for more help using a miter saw? Check out the video below!
Charge the Battery When It’s 50% Drained
Don’t wait until the saw is out of battery power to recharge it. Instead, charge the battery (or batteries) when it’s 50% drained.
This way you never run into a situation where insufficient battery power prevents you from completing a task.
Moreover, when it comes to cordless power tools, it’s best to prevent their batteries from draining completely, as each full drain can reduce a battery’s charge capacity.
Clean After Every Use
You should clean your miter saw after using it to ensure sawdust and other particles don’t inhibit it from working properly later on.
Now, I’m not saying you have to deep clean after making a handful of cuts, but wiping down the blade and detent is a good move.
And to ensure there are no unwanted particles left over, go over the main components with a vacuum.
When sawdust, dirt, dust, and other fine particles get into the many crevices cordless power tools have, they accelerate wear and tear and cause the tool to be much less functional.
Don’t Overload the Saw
It’s best to avoid overloading any kind of cordless power tool, but this is especially true when it comes to miter saws.
Yes, battery-powered miter saws are powerful and tough, but overloading one can necessitate costly, avoidable repairs.
Therefore, don’t try to cut a dense metal, and give the components a chance to cool down after 20-30 seconds of continuous sawing.
Corded vs Cordless Miter Saws
Generally speaking, corded miter saws are more powerful than cordless miter saws, which is why corded models can cut through denser materials with ease.
Moreover, a stronger motor means more RPM for the blade, which means smoother cuts.
But just because they have more power doesn’t mean they’re automatically better than cordless models.
In fact, plenty of cordless models are better than several corded models.
In terms of precision, corded and cordless miter saws are pretty close. After all, both saws can be equipped with highly accurate blades, miter gauges, and detents.
That said, corded models do tend to be slightly more precise, since their increased power output often means smoother and finer cuts.
Corded miter saws aren’t designed to be portable miter saws, so they can include heavier, more durable parts.
But many of the newer cordless miters combine high-quality, durable base components with cutting-edge technology, so even in this area there’s not a lot of difference between the corded and cordless models.
Cordless miters tend to be more expensive because they run on expensive, powerful lithium-ion batteries.
But plenty of professional-grade corded models cost several hundred dollars too.
The important thing, when talking about either corded or cordless tools, is cost-effectiveness; if something is expensive, but it’s efficient and built to last, there’s a good chance it’s worth the high price.
Ultimately, the Makita 18V Cordless 10″ Miter Saw is the best cordless miter saw overall because it’s a powerful, accurate, and versatile sliding compound miter saw that’s easy to use and maintain.
The DeWalt FLEXVOLT 120V MAX* Miter Saw makes the best cuts, mainly because it’s outfitted with durable, high-end components. Of course, this saw’s top-tier quality comes at a price making it the most expensive on my list, but I think it’s worth it.
Finally, there’s the Bosch 18V 7-1/4 In. Miter Saw, an affordable cordless miter saw but powerful none the less. This model’s low price has to be due to its limited cutting capacity, since aside from this shortcoming it’s a terrific battery-powered miter saw in several important respects.