I’ve had my Ryobi Jigsaw for a few months now and have used it on multiple projects. But is it worth your money and how does it stack up against others?
In this article, I’ll help you decide if the Ryobi Cordless Jigsaw is worth your money or if you should opt for another brand. Let’s get into it!
Jump to Section
Ryobi Jigsaw Features
First, let’s talk about the key features of this jigsaw. For the record, these features are for the Ryobi P5231 18V Cordless Jigsaw.
This saw has been around since 2019 which speaks to its quality as it hasn’t been discontinued or upgraded since that date.
This jigsaw features the 18-Volt ONE+ cordless battery system that powers Ryobi’s cordless tool lineup that can produce up to 3,000 SPM of blade speed thanks to its powerful motor.
The blade is super simple to change and you don’t need any tools or wrenches to do so. Just rotate the blade clamp and your blade will eject from the saw and you can place a new one in. This can be especially nice after cutting for a while if you have a hot blade that needs to be swapped out.
One thing that stands out with this jig saw is the blade saving feature that allows you to drop the foot of your saw whenever you sense that the blade is getting worn, which allows you to use the less worn portion of your blade ultimately saving you on blade replacements.
The four orbital speed settings give you maximum control and versatility so you can cut through many different materials. It’s also super easy to adjust the speed with the variable speed lever on the top of the saw.
If you’re cutting a larger piece, the locking detent gives you more comfort so you don’t have to hold the trigger for the entire duration of your cut.
The barrel grip is comfortable and the vibration isn’t overly powerful.
This model also features an LED light that can offer you even more precision when cutting different materials.
This saw also comes with a built in dust blower so you don’t have to worry about saw dust getting in your way while cutting.
- Product will either come in original packaging that is in less than perfect shape and has been opened to…
- BUILT-IN DUST BLOWER: This feature on the tool will help you clear debris away from your work, giving you…
- LED LIGHTING gives you improved line-of-sight in poorly lit conditions
Ryobi Jigsaw Pros
Here are a few things I love about this jig saw:
- Cordless operation allows you to make precise cuts without the cord getting in the way
- The tool free blade change makes it super simple to change the blade without much work
- LED light allows for increased accuracy
- 4 orbital settings allow for more versatility when cutting wood, metal, or other surfaces
- Easy to control and cut straight lines because it’s not overly powerful
- Great value considering the price and overall quality
- Can swap batteries with other Ryobi 18V ONE+ cordless tools
- Metal base feels durable and high quality
- Uses T shank blades, which I’m a big fan of
Ryobi Jigsaw Cons
Here are a few things that could be improved with this jig saw:
- Ryobi products tend to be less reliable compared to more premium brands
- The dust blower isn’t all that great. I don’t think this is a big deal, but it’s something to keep in mind
- Not quite as powerful as other brands (or the HP model). It’s enough power for most jobs, but if you’re planning to cut through dense hardwoods, you might need more power
- Bevel adjustments aren’t super easy
- Does not have a variable speed trigger, instead you have to adjust the lever on the top of the saw while cutting – which can be annoying
Ryobi ONE+ HP Brushless Jigsaw vs Ryobi ONE+ Cordless Jigsaw
If you need more power, opting for the Ryobi HP brushless jigsaw is the way to go.
This saw gives you a little more power over the standard ONE+ cordless jigsaw because of its brushless motor but that’s about it.
So if you plan to do some heavy duty cutting – it’s worth the upgrade to purchase Ryobi’s HP line of tools.
- Brushless motor provides up to 36 percent faster cutting and up to 78 percent longer runtime
- Easy release blade lever for quick blade changes
- 4 orbital settings for increased cutting versatility
Final Verdict: 8.6/10
So, should you buy the Ryobi cordless jigsaw?
Ultimately, I’m a big fan of this jigsaw – especially considering the price.
Whether you’re looking to cut plywood, PVC pipe, or even metal – this jigsaw can get the job done.
While it’s not going to be quite as powerful as other jigsaws like the DeWalt or Makita – this is still one of the best cordless jigsaws you can buy.
It has virtually all of the features you could want at an affordable prices that’s perfect for homeowners, beginner woodworkers, or hobbyists.
It’s powerful enough for most traditional cutting tasks and the battery life was pretty standard. I got through all of my cuts without having any problems.
And, if you need more raw power out of your saw, you can always opt for the Ryobi HP Brushless jigsaw.